Labels

Friday, January 13, 2012

Diving into the Cities

I was reading a book on perspective drawing this morning and I've decided I will incorporate some of the principles into my next city paintings. I've been doing some experiments the last two days and have really loved the results. I will post them soon, they're currently drying awaiting another layer of ink.

I had an idea for doing a two point perspective city as well as several three point perspective drawings. Once I'd done a few I think I'm going to try and mix the perspectives and see what happens. After this I'll mix them with my flat cities and see what kind of chaos I can create.

I love the idea of laying everything out on a grid and having these weird layer interactions. I think it will be strange and wonderful. Maybe more people will respond to the new depth that comes with perspective. That is one thing that is difficult about doing the cities. It seems like only artists get really absorbed into the details of color interaction or shape and rhythm. Its hard to convey my love for those things but I hope some of it come across in my work.

I am definitely excited about the new perspective though, I think it will add a layer of complexity that I've been searching for the last few weeks. Add in the ink experiments and I think something great is about to happen.

I need to get the oils ready... My canvas still has not arrived... Maybe I need to make some calls... The weather is right, need to clean up the garage so I can start churning out some oil paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment