Labels

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Polyphasic Sleep Experiment Day 3

I think this is technically day two but I made the tragic mistake of writing after the first 24 hours of being awake on the day I started this instead of starting from 12AM and going from there... The only reason this matters is cause the first 12 hours I was awake I'd had plenty of sleep the night before so realistically it shouldn't count. But mentally it counts a lot. I'm feeling it today.

Writing this is incredibly hard... as is pretty much anything. I just finished a quick walk and I don't think it did anything. My eye lids are so heavy they could register on a scale right now. I'm hoping I'll have a similar experience to yesterday which is that around 7AM my energy picked up quite a bit cause we were walking out in the woods.

---

Took another walk, this one was a mile and that seemed to boost me a little more. As soon as I got back I had to walk our dog Lucy so I was feeling pretty good for a few hours. Got to try the potato pancakes. Really good, I never would have thought of combining rosemary and apple but its damn good! Feels good to eat raw. Working on the new pictures some more, its starting to look pretty intense, I'm not sure it was a good idea to do something so intense but I'm pushing through it and I'm honestly loving the results so far.

---

Walked out in the woods for an hour. We took a shorter route just cause we're both feeling pretty zombied out right now. Its only 9AM and I've already logged close to five miles so I don't think I need to worry about getting enough exercise at this point. From what I've read muscle soreness is an entirely new experience on the Dymaxion cycle because you're awake around the clock to experience it in its entirety instead of being able to sleep through much of it. I noticed this same effect with my headache yesterday. It seems that its finally gone away but it was tempting to want to sleep it away late last night when I was struggling.

I am really looking forward to my 10:30 nap. I'm feeling a lot better than I ever would have thought but sleep seems like such an appealing thing when you're getting so little. I'm hoping my body will adjust similar to what I've read about uberman cycle sleepers. Meaning, tomorrow should be significantly easier than today or yesterday.

---

Wow. 10:30 nap was amazing. Best I've had thus far. Woke up feeling like I slept an hour, feeling very alert and happy right now. This experiment just took a turn for the best! I was really hoping for something like this but I didn't expect it to happen so soon. Hopefully its not a fluke and I'll get a similar experience this evening when I take my nap at 4:30.

Working on my painting, I feel slightly cloudy but considering I've had only 3 hours of sleep since Monday I feel absolutely incredible. I never thought I would feel this good so quickly. Don't want to get my hopes up too much, still got a lot of time ahead of me but this feels like a very good sign. If this continues I should be in full work mode next week and basically back to my normal life only with an additional 6 hours to spend on personal projects or work. Really excited by this. I think the raw foods are definitely helping. My brother didn't crash out like he did yesterday where he needed a nap from 1-2. We're both feeling significantly better than we did at this same time yesterday.

---

Its close to 3:30PM and I'm still feeling quite good. Not 100% by any means but I am honestly in awe at how good I feel. Another hour till the 4:30 nap. One major difference between today and the previous two is that I'm not desperate for that time to come, I feel fine, I feel like an hour is no problem at all whereas before each nap was a struggle to get to. This is very exciting.

---

Something really weird happened. I woke up before my alarm. I woke up with a start as if an alarm did go off, but it was early, really strange. I'm not sure why I snapped awake but I was full of energy and ready to go so I figured, lets go! Took Lucy on a walk to get the blood flowing, my brother and I are starting to walk right after we wake up and it seems to be having a very positive effect and it helps get rid of fatigue pretty quickly. In fact its been the best thing to fight fatigue so far.

We made Cauliflower steaks for dinner tonight. Mom put together a cucumber salad, together it was all very good and all raw which seems to be an important part of this process. Heavier foods seem to make me more tired, meat especially. This is something I knew previously being a vegetarian but again, doing some reading made me realize the importance so I have been pushing to be 80% raw for the last few days. Not sure if I will be able to or need to maintain that level of raw intake but for now its definitely helping.

Its 8PM now and I am still feeling great. I've been working on my painting all day and have not been having the issues I was having yesterday getting confused or frustrated or just plain tired. In fact there is some excitement there which I think is cool. Certainly encouraging. Got a print back today of an abstract city I had printed on metal. Looks fantastic! I could not be happier with the result. Good day all around.

---

Almost 10PM, figure I'll wrap this up for the day. Its kinda hard to decide when one day ends and another begins so I'll just "end" today on my 10:30 nap which is coming up pretty soon. Still feeling good. I'm noticing some fatigue creeping in but it doesn't seem to affect me unless I dwell on it. I've been so distracted by my painting that I am only really noticing it now that I'm writing this up.

Good day overall, I'm really curious to see how tomorrow will work out. Did we get over the hump today or was it just a nice fluke? Does the Dymaxion cycle force you to adapt faster than the uberman? I haven't done uberman but there seem to be many more complaints and there are few resources on the Dymaxion cycle... It seems most who try it give up pretty quickly and I'm not sure why. Maybe people are more comfortable with the idea of taking lots of little naps instead of just 4. I guess I don't want to have to sleep every 4 hours so this cycle seems ideal... Its definitely hard but I am in a good frame of mind at this point and I genuinely feel like this is doable. Feeling much more positive at this point and I think thats a good thing to carry into tomorrow or night or however we want to define it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment